30th Annual Chile Pepper Cross Country Festival Weather plans?
09/18/2018 3:29:43 PM
Power User
So we are going to the meet this year and looks to be a repeat of conditions like Forest Park. Only have been to the town once for the Indoor Nationals I was wonder what are our options? What do people typically do when there is weather? Also, do they have alternatives in place to move around the schedule if the weather looks like an issue? Thanks in advance.
So we are going to the meet this year and looks to be a repeat of conditions like Forest Park. Only have been to the town once for the Indoor Nationals I was wonder what are our options? What do people typically do when there is weather? Also, do they have alternatives in place to move around the schedule if the weather looks like an issue? Thanks in advance.
09/18/2018 9:54:30 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@bantazmo I’ve been there a couple of times in the past. In 2013 they got much more rain than they are calling for this weekend and the only real change was the meet start was delayed an hour and half. The course held up MUCH, MUCH better than Forest Park too. That’s the only time I recall bad weather though, so I’m not sure if there’s further plans in case it’s worse. On a competitive note even with fewer teams competing due to the weather the race was still pretty quick. I looked up results today and on the girls side Jamie Kempfer still ran 18:35, and there were 64 girls stil sub 21. That sounds like very few compared to how the meet normally runs, but as I said there were about 20-30 less teams than normally (likely due to the weather.)
@bantazmo I've been there a couple of times in the past. In 2013 they got much more rain than they are calling for this weekend and the only real change was the meet start was delayed an hour and half. The course held up MUCH, MUCH better than Forest Park too. That's the only time I recall bad weather though, so I'm not sure if there's further plans in case it's worse.

On a competitive note even with fewer teams competing due to the weather the race was still pretty quick. I looked up results today and on the girls side Jamie Kempfer still ran 18:35, and there were 64 girls stil sub 21. That sounds like very few compared to how the meet normally runs, but as I said there were about 20-30 less teams than normally (likely due to the weather.)
09/19/2018 10:36:54 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I have also been there a few times with our team including the year that muxctf15 is referring to. I agree with his assessment. This isn't weather related, but something else that I would point out to you is that they do not assign starting boxes and they usually have more teams entered than they have starting boxes. With that in mind you will want to have someone down at the starting line ready to claim and reserve a box as soon as the previous race starts. There will be a line of coaches, managers, etc. standing behind the starting line waiting to immediately do so. If you don't have someone down there then your team will likely have to start behind another team. Good luck!
I have also been there a few times with our team including the year that muxctf15 is referring to. I agree with his assessment.

This isn't weather related, but something else that I would point out to you is that they do not assign starting boxes and they usually have more teams entered than they have starting boxes. With that in mind you will want to have someone down at the starting line ready to claim and reserve a box as soon as the previous race starts. There will be a line of coaches, managers, etc. standing behind the starting line waiting to immediately do so. If you don't have someone down there then your team will likely have to start behind another team.

Good luck!
09/21/2018 10:28:49 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
We always liked staring as far to the left as possible as you are looking down the course. I love that meet and still disappointed they moved weekends. The races are big enough that you can feel the ground shake at the start....
We always liked staring as far to the left as possible as you are looking down the course. I love that meet and still disappointed they moved weekends. The races are big enough that you can feel the ground shake at the start....

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.