2019 XC Schedule
09/28/2018 1:28:13 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
This may have been answered in previous posts, but I can't seem to find one. Does anyone know how much the calendar will change with another week later start to the fall season in 2019? Will those of you that currently host meets push it to a week later or continue to have it the same weekend? I know that some of will have to move due to not having enough practices before that date. I am looking to host a new meet in October of next year and want to do my best to schedule around other meets. Thanks in advance for any info! -Barnes
This may have been answered in previous posts, but I can't seem to find one.

Does anyone know how much the calendar will change with another week later start to the fall season in 2019? Will those of you that currently host meets push it to a week later or continue to have it the same weekend? I know that some of will have to move due to not having enough practices before that date.

I am looking to host a new meet in October of next year and want to do my best to schedule around other meets.

Thanks in advance for any info!

-Barnes
09/28/2018 2:35:52 PM
Coach
@jlbarnes44 Are we actually losing another week of the season, or is this just a calendar reset year? I think most people who run meets dial backwards on the calendar (state, sectionals, district, conference, etc.) rather than looking at it from a date perspective. The issue you might end up dealing with is if other states aren't resetting their calendars next year as well. That has happened to us occasionally since we go to a meet in Kansas every year. Sean Nunn Raytown South
@jlbarnes44

Are we actually losing another week of the season, or is this just a calendar reset year? I think most people who run meets dial backwards on the calendar (state, sectionals, district, conference, etc.) rather than looking at it from a date perspective.

The issue you might end up dealing with is if other states aren't resetting their calendars next year as well. That has happened to us occasionally since we go to a meet in Kansas every year.

Sean Nunn
Raytown South
09/28/2018 2:48:30 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@seannunn According to the MSHSAA handbook our first day of practice will be August 12 and the last possible contest day for state would be November 9. And the first possible contest will be August 30. I know so meets have been before that date. I just didn't know how that would effect all other meets when scheduling.
@seannunn

According to the MSHSAA handbook our first day of practice will be August 12 and the last possible contest day for state would be November 9. And the first possible contest will be August 30. I know so meets have been before that date. I just didn't know how that would effect all other meets when scheduling.
09/28/2018 2:57:23 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
Can someone explain to me what the point in these calendar resets are? Wouldn't it just be easier to keep it the same every year? I've just never heard WHY we do it.
Can someone explain to me what the point in these calendar resets are? Wouldn't it just be easier to keep it the same every year? I've just never heard WHY we do it.
10/01/2018 9:51:50 AM
Coach
@muxctf15 If you don't do a calendar reset every 6-7 years then the calendar goes backwards by one day most years, and after about 15 years your state meet would be 2 weeks earlier. It has to do with the fact that 52 x 7 = 364, and there are 365 days in a year. I believe that November 9 is just about the latest date we can have the state meet, while November 2 is just about the earliest. Alan Shields at Ray-Pec is our resident expert on this, as he is on a lot of things. Sean Nunn Raytown South
@muxctf15

If you don't do a calendar reset every 6-7 years then the calendar goes backwards by one day most years, and after about 15 years your state meet would be 2 weeks earlier. It has to do with the fact that 52 x 7 = 364, and there are 365 days in a year. I believe that November 9 is just about the latest date we can have the state meet, while November 2 is just about the earliest.

Alan Shields at Ray-Pec is our resident expert on this, as he is on a lot of things.

Sean Nunn
Raytown South
10/01/2018 10:19:18 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Since 1981, the date for the state meet has varied from Nov 3rd to Nov 9th.
Since 1981, the date for the state meet has varied from Nov 3rd to Nov 9th.
10/01/2018 10:30:07 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
State meet is November 9th. would be great to see what meets are staying and moving??? Of course it would be great to know the district and sectional hosts before we make our schedule too...
State meet is November 9th.

would be great to see what meets are staying and moving???

Of course it would be great to know the district and sectional hosts before we make our schedule too...
10/01/2018 10:57:13 AM
Coach
The state meet falls on MSHSAA standardized calendar week number 18. The first week of the standardized calendar is always the first FULL week of July starting on a Sunday. This year July 1st was a Sunday which means that this is the earliest date possible for our state meet (November 3). Next year July 7th is a Sunday which means that that we will have state on the latest possible date (November 9).
The state meet falls on MSHSAA standardized calendar week number 18.

The first week of the standardized calendar is always the first FULL week of July starting on a Sunday.

This year July 1st was a Sunday which means that this is the earliest date possible for our state meet (November 3).

Next year July 7th is a Sunday which means that that we will have state on the latest possible date (November 9).
10/01/2018 11:15:56 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Cutting a week off of the beginning of the season this year ultimately forced early season meet hosts to watch their meets shrink. There are probably too many huge meets anyway, so cramming the same amount of meets into a smaller window is probably okay... even if it doesn't appeal to our AD's bottom line. All of the Missouri meets SHOULD shift a week later next year to comply with the roll back, but each school will end out making their own decisions. Shifting to a different weekend can change things a lot (just ask Hancock). It appears that NFHS is recommending the roll back for all member schools next year, so hopefully out of state meets will conform to the suggested dates, but I am sure that some of them reserve facilities a year in advance and will have trouble moving. (Missouri starts a week later than NFHS recommends however, so perhaps we can't count on states just falling in line.) [url=https://www.nfhs.org/media/885653/nfhs_calendar_brochure.pdf]Your text to link here...[/url]
Cutting a week off of the beginning of the season this year ultimately forced early season meet hosts to watch their meets shrink. There are probably too many huge meets anyway, so cramming the same amount of meets into a smaller window is probably okay... even if it doesn't appeal to our AD's bottom line.
All of the Missouri meets SHOULD shift a week later next year to comply with the roll back, but each school will end out making their own decisions. Shifting to a different weekend can change things a lot (just ask Hancock).

It appears that NFHS is recommending the roll back for all member schools next year, so hopefully out of state meets will conform to the suggested dates, but I am sure that some of them reserve facilities a year in advance and will have trouble moving. (Missouri starts a week later than NFHS recommends however, so perhaps we can't count on states just falling in line.) Your text to link here...
10/01/2018 11:30:51 AM
Coach
[quote=NWCoach](Missouri starts a week later than NFHS recommends however, so perhaps we can't count on states just falling in line.) [/quote] How does MO start a week later than recommended? MO uses the exact same standardized calendar recommended by the NFHS in your link.
NWCoach wrote:
(Missouri starts a week later than NFHS recommends however, so perhaps we can't count on states just falling in line.)

How does MO start a week later than recommended? MO uses the exact same standardized calendar recommended by the NFHS in your link.
10/02/2018 7:32:44 AM
User
I guess that calendar isn’t really suggesting a specific start date or end date. Illinois and Kansas both started August 6th while Missouri started August 13th. The Kansas state meet is October 27th.
I guess that calendar isn't really suggesting a specific start date or end date. Illinois and Kansas both started August 6th while Missouri started August 13th.
The Kansas state meet is October 27th.
10/04/2018 11:58:04 AM
Coach
[quote=kacnw]I guess that calendar isn’t really suggesting a specific start date or end date. Illinois and Kansas both started August 6th while Missouri started August 13th. The Kansas state meet is October 27th. [/quote]Missouri started on August 6th this year. Standardized calendar week #6. Next year that will be August 12th since week #6 starts on August 11th.
kacnw wrote:
I guess that calendar isn't really suggesting a specific start date or end date. Illinois and Kansas both started August 6th while Missouri started August 13th.
The Kansas state meet is October 27th.
Missouri started on August 6th this year. Standardized calendar week #6.

Next year that will be August 12th since week #6 starts on August 11th.
10/04/2018 12:07:03 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
The easiest way to determine your calendar, is to count backwards from the state meet, instead of forwards from the 1st day of practice. Unless major changes happen to our invitational, it will remain the same week, but 6 days later than last year - Sept 14.
The easiest way to determine your calendar, is to count backwards from the state meet, instead of forwards from the 1st day of practice. Unless major changes happen to our invitational, it will remain the same week, but 6 days later than last year - Sept 14.
10/04/2018 3:01:23 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I agree with Coach Swift - we just count backwards from State. Here was how 2019 looks for our team (counting backwards). Please correct me if I'm wrong. Sat, Nov 9 - State Sat, Nov 2 - C4 Sectionals, C1, 2, 3 Districts Sat, Oct 26 - C4 Districts Sat, Oct 19 - Off Sat, Oct 12 - Conference Week Sat, Oct 5 - KC Cross Country Classic Sat, Sep 28 - Rim Rock (If Kansas shifts back) Sat, Sep 21 - Southern Stampede Sat, Sep 14 - Ray Pec Sat, Sep 7 - Tim Nixon On that note, we really enjoyed hosting all of the schools for the Nixon Invite to honor such a great man on such a great course. If anyone new is interested in joining for 2019, please get a hold of me (Dave Chatlos) or Liberty's coach, Jordan English. We are looking to grow the meet substantially moving forward, including having more travel teams. David.Chatlos@lps53.org Jordan.English@lps53.org
I agree with Coach Swift - we just count backwards from State. Here was how 2019 looks for our team (counting backwards). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Sat, Nov 9 - State
Sat, Nov 2 - C4 Sectionals, C1, 2, 3 Districts
Sat, Oct 26 - C4 Districts
Sat, Oct 19 - Off
Sat, Oct 12 - Conference Week
Sat, Oct 5 - KC Cross Country Classic
Sat, Sep 28 - Rim Rock (If Kansas shifts back)
Sat, Sep 21 - Southern Stampede
Sat, Sep 14 - Ray Pec
Sat, Sep 7 - Tim Nixon

On that note, we really enjoyed hosting all of the schools for the Nixon Invite to honor such a great man on such a great course. If anyone new is interested in joining for 2019, please get a hold of me (Dave Chatlos) or Liberty's coach, Jordan English. We are looking to grow the meet substantially moving forward, including having more travel teams.

David.Chatlos@lps53.org
Jordan.English@lps53.org
10/04/2018 3:11:21 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
For smaller schools, it should be easy to project. However, if CC goes to 5 classes next year, and I think it is likely to do so, then for sure up to the bottom third of current class 4 will move down a class and there is also a good chance there would be no sectionals in the largest class.
For smaller schools, it should be easy to project. However, if CC goes to 5 classes next year, and I think it is likely to do so, then for sure up to the bottom third of current class 4 will move down a class and there is also a good chance there would be no sectionals in the largest class.
10/04/2018 3:31:22 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@Hays Dean, How would State qualifying work in the largest class if there are no Sectionals? Thanks
@Hays

Dean,

How would State qualifying work in the largest class if there are no Sectionals?

Thanks
10/04/2018 4:40:40 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
From the discussion from 2 years ago at the CC advisory committee, the indication I got was that if we greatly reduced the number of schools in Class 4, the sectional meet would be gone. My understanding it would go to like everybody else - 8 districts and top 2 qualify. Right now the manual states that 8 districts will be established. My 2 cents is if we go to 5 classes, to push to go to 4 qualifying meets per class with top 4 moving on. Looking at the Class 1 and Class 2 levels, there will be fewer bus miles by doing this. Don't know how that will fly.
From the discussion from 2 years ago at the CC advisory committee, the indication I got was that if we greatly reduced the number of schools in Class 4, the sectional meet would be gone. My understanding it would go to like everybody else - 8 districts and top 2 qualify.
Right now the manual states that 8 districts will be established. My 2 cents is if we go to 5 classes, to push to go to 4 qualifying meets per class with top 4 moving on. Looking at the Class 1 and Class 2 levels, there will be fewer bus miles by doing this. Don't know how that will fly.
10/05/2018 9:21:14 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
If it is decided to go to a 5 Class system, is that going to increase or decrease the number of schools in Class 1 and Class 2? Some districts in those classes are already not very competitive, and several schools don't even have enough runners for a full team. My hope is that if the change is approved, it puts more schools and runners in the lower classes.
If it is decided to go to a 5 Class system, is that going to increase or decrease the number of schools in Class 1 and Class 2? Some districts in those classes are already not very competitive, and several schools don't even have enough runners for a full team. My hope is that if the change is approved, it puts more schools and runners in the lower classes.
10/05/2018 9:26:46 AM
Coach
It sounds like a terrible idea as Hays has described it. If the large class goes back to 8 districts with 2 teams qualifying, that would be a huge step back for our state. They should definitely go to 4 districts qualifying at least 4 teams. I am pretty sure Hays also said the breaks would be for equal number of schools in each class which would mean that all the classes would have fewer teams than they do now. Correct me if I am wrong. Obviously nothing has been decided yet and we are purely speculating.
It sounds like a terrible idea as Hays has described it.

If the large class goes back to 8 districts with 2 teams qualifying, that would be a huge step back for our state. They should definitely go to 4 districts qualifying at least 4 teams.

I am pretty sure Hays also said the breaks would be for equal number of schools in each class which would mean that all the classes would have fewer teams than they do now. Correct me if I am wrong. Obviously nothing has been decided yet and we are purely speculating.
10/05/2018 9:44:07 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
To add to that. Milesplit has a fairly large database of results. There have only been 32 schools in class 1 girls to even have 5 girls run in a meet this year to earn a score. Class 1 needs to be much bigger.
To add to that. Milesplit has a fairly large database of results. There have only been 32 schools in class 1 girls to even have 5 girls run in a meet this year to earn a score. Class 1 needs to be much bigger.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.