Improvements
10/01/2018 7:10:11 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
I know it has warmed up again BUT, how much has most kids improve by due to the cooler weather. What is an average and how much can you improve when it cools off 30 degrees. Just for fun. We as a team improved an average of a minute each. Some as much as 2 minutes and others 5-10 seconds in the end we averaged 1 minute. Very pleased
I know it has warmed up again BUT, how much has most kids improve by due to the cooler weather. What is an average and how much can you improve when it cools off 30 degrees. Just for fun. We as a team improved an average of a minute each. Some as much as 2 minutes and others 5-10 seconds in the end we averaged 1 minute. Very pleased
10/03/2018 11:49:58 AM
Coach
It depends on the athlete. Some kids REALLY struggle with the heat, and they probably can drop a minute due to better temperatures alone. Our best girl has dropped a minute already since the first meet. Matt Tegenkamp, on the other hand, ran 15:22 at state his senior year even though it was 88 degrees that day. As good as he was, I doubt he would have run 14:22 even under ideal conditions. A related question is this: if you train in the heat for most of the season (like we have this year), will you run faster at the end of the season than you would have if you had had cooler weather all fall? Or not? I ask this because we had a year like this in 2002 (?) where it was over 100 degrees until well into September and at the end of the season we tore it up. Sean Nunn Raytown South
It depends on the athlete. Some kids REALLY struggle with the heat, and they probably can drop a minute due to better temperatures alone. Our best girl has dropped a minute already since the first meet.

Matt Tegenkamp, on the other hand, ran 15:22 at state his senior year even though it was 88 degrees that day. As good as he was, I doubt he would have run 14:22 even under ideal conditions.

A related question is this: if you train in the heat for most of the season (like we have this year), will you run faster at the end of the season than you would have if you had had cooler weather all fall? Or not? I ask this because we had a year like this in 2002 (?) where it was over 100 degrees until well into September and at the end of the season we tore it up.

Sean Nunn
Raytown South

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.