Article Comment: Throwing an idea into your sector
04/09/2014 11:57:26 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Great idea!! I would be willing to bet that CSU wouldn't mind hosting the event, even if their staff is not there. They have a nice throwing set up on the infield. Can we add a thrower's relay too? :)
Great idea!! I would be willing to bet that CSU wouldn't mind hosting the event, even if their staff is not there. They have a nice throwing set up on the infield. Can we add a thrower's relay too? :)
04/09/2014 12:19:20 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Yuma has two discus rings, two shotput rings and space for two javelin sectors. Only one discus ring would not be viewable from the main stands. I like your idea, but I'm not sure that throwers would travel all the way to Yuma for the event, unfortunately.
Yuma has two discus rings, two shotput rings and space for two javelin sectors. Only one discus ring would not be viewable from the main stands. I like your idea, but I'm not sure that throwers would travel all the way to Yuma for the event, unfortunately.
04/09/2014 12:34:35 PM
User
Is it too hopeful to think that the hammer might be included? How many facilities in the state can accommodate that?
Is it too hopeful to think that the hammer might be included? How many facilities in the state can accommodate that?
04/09/2014 12:39:05 PM
Coach
How about making it open to out of state competition? Another suggestion, sections by grade. Of all event, it seems like shot and disc are most senior dominated. It would be fun to have the throwers the center of attention.
How about making it open to out of state competition?
Another suggestion, sections by grade. Of all event, it seems like shot and disc are most senior dominated.
It would be fun to have the throwers the center of attention.
04/09/2014 12:41:37 PM
Coach
Please put me on your list to help with the Colorado Festival of Throws. I will start making phone calls to help with securing some volunteers.
Please put me on your list to help with the Colorado Festival of Throws. I will start making phone calls to help with securing some volunteers.
04/09/2014 1:14:42 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
It would be beneficial to include our tremendous college throwing coaches from the D-I and D-II level. I am sure they would love to help promote an event that could attract the top throwers from our state and possibly beyond. Several of our coaches and myself would be willing to help in any way possible. Outstanding idea!
It would be beneficial to include our tremendous college throwing coaches from the D-I and D-II level. I am sure they would love to help promote an event that could attract the top throwers from our state and possibly beyond. Several of our coaches and myself would be willing to help in any way possible. Outstanding idea!
04/09/2014 2:07:48 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Fantastic idea! I would love to be involved with this. I also really like the age division piece. Count me in! I bet we could use Jeffco as well if we created a Javelin sector on the football field. Not sure how, but it's possible I'm sure. They might be able to provide concessions too.
Fantastic idea! I would love to be involved with this. I also really like the age division piece. Count me in! I bet we could use Jeffco as well if we created a Javelin sector on the football field. Not sure how, but it's possible I'm sure. They might be able to provide concessions too.
04/09/2014 5:26:11 PM
User
LOVE IT!!!! DO THIS!!!!
LOVE IT!!!! DO THIS!!!!
04/10/2014 9:42:46 AM
Coach
Great idea. I'd be willing to volunteer depending on the date. Open a senior division up to college kids. We have some top notch Colorado kids throwing outstanding distances in the college ranks. CSU's men's team is loaded with Colorado talent. Maybe Casey Malone and some other elite Colorado throw veterans would be willing to do a short clinic in their speciality throw. Mason Finley possibly???
Great idea. I'd be willing to volunteer depending on the date. Open a senior division up to college kids. We have some top notch Colorado kids throwing outstanding distances in the college ranks. CSU's men's team is loaded with Colorado talent. Maybe Casey Malone and some other elite Colorado throw veterans would be willing to do a short clinic in their speciality throw. Mason Finley possibly???
04/10/2014 10:15:32 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
Wow, I had no idea this idea would resonate the way it has. If this is going to happen, a facility is the first thing we need. I would say the host facility stands to make some money off of this, but they would also need to carry the liability burden. I confess to zero understanding of how all that works. I know we (TCA) have to have insurance when we host a cross country meet, but I'm not sure how all that works without a formal school event. Yet, we are talking about use of a school facility, be it a high school facility or a college facility. I would guess it would work a lot like the Air Force High School Indoor Open works, only with fewer events. I think, ideally, this happens somewhere between Pueblo and Fort Collins, but it sounds like there's enough interest that it could happen successfully outside of the I-25 corridor. I will keep information flowing to all through this site if anyone can assure me they are ready to step up and host. I'm pretty sure there's no more efficient means of spreading the word.
Wow, I had no idea this idea would resonate the way it has.

If this is going to happen, a facility is the first thing we need. I would say the host facility stands to make some money off of this, but they would also need to carry the liability burden. I confess to zero understanding of how all that works. I know we (TCA) have to have insurance when we host a cross country meet, but I'm not sure how all that works without a formal school event. Yet, we are talking about use of a school facility, be it a high school facility or a college facility. I would guess it would work a lot like the Air Force High School Indoor Open works, only with fewer events.

I think, ideally, this happens somewhere between Pueblo and Fort Collins, but it sounds like there's enough interest that it could happen successfully outside of the I-25 corridor.

I will keep information flowing to all through this site if anyone can assure me they are ready to step up and host. I'm pretty sure there's no more efficient means of spreading the word.
04/10/2014 12:25:29 PM
User
Excellent idea. Suggestions - schedule it before summer basketball team camps start June 6/7. Tie it into either the USATF or AAU. Sanction it additionally as a qualifying meet for the AAU Junior Olympics which is in Des Moines Iowa in late July. Normally when we go to the required "district qualifying" meets, there are no other throwers at the track meet. John Stellern - Cheyenne Wyoming
Excellent idea. Suggestions - schedule it before summer basketball team camps start June 6/7. Tie it into either the USATF or AAU. Sanction it additionally as a qualifying meet for the AAU Junior Olympics which is in Des Moines Iowa in late July. Normally when we go to the required "district qualifying" meets, there are no other throwers at the track meet. John Stellern - Cheyenne Wyoming
04/10/2014 1:10:54 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@Stellernj John, thanks for visiting our forum! Nice to have out-of-state participation. Adam contributes from New Mexico now and then, but this might be the first participation from Wyoming. Here's the one misgiving I have about tying it to USATF or AAU--that adds to the cost for an athlete to participate as it would involve buying an annual membership. That, in turn, would likely drive down participation. The beauty of a meet like Great Southwest, Nike Cross Regionals, the Air Force High School Indoor Open, and other similar meets is that an athlete can compete without that membership. USATF sanctioning, however, would likely resolve some liability issues.
@Stellernj

John, thanks for visiting our forum! Nice to have out-of-state participation. Adam contributes from New Mexico now and then, but this might be the first participation from Wyoming.

Here's the one misgiving I have about tying it to USATF or AAU--that adds to the cost for an athlete to participate as it would involve buying an annual membership. That, in turn, would likely drive down participation. The beauty of a meet like Great Southwest, Nike Cross Regionals, the Air Force High School Indoor Open, and other similar meets is that an athlete can compete without that membership.

USATF sanctioning, however, would likely resolve some liability issues.
04/10/2014 2:33:00 PM
User
I couldn't pass up my input on this competition. We would definitely be interested in participating in this event. I have to agree that this event would need to have the hammer throw. Looking back at all the former and current hammer greats from Colorado of Loree Smith, Drew Loftin, Emily Hunsucker, and Kiah Hicks. Colorado probably has a lot more hidden talent that this event would help bring out or inspire before they get to college. I look forward to seeing this come to fruition.
I couldn't pass up my input on this competition. We would definitely be interested in participating in this event. I have to agree that this event would need to have the hammer throw. Looking back at all the former and current hammer greats from Colorado of Loree Smith, Drew Loftin, Emily Hunsucker, and Kiah Hicks. Colorado probably has a lot more hidden talent that this event would help bring out or inspire before they get to college. I look forward to seeing this come to fruition.
04/10/2014 3:01:17 PM
User
What dates are you looking at? I assume a Saturday? May 24 is high school graduations. May 31st is NCAA first round. June 7th?? June 14 NCAA's
What dates are you looking at? I assume a Saturday? May 24 is high school graduations. May 31st is NCAA first round. June 7th?? June 14 NCAA's
04/11/2014 12:11:00 PM
Coach
You all would know better than I about IF there is a common or most common graduation date in CO. I know in NM that the grad date fluctuates widely from district to district, even from high school to high school within a district. Although the 24th may be the most common date there would be no way to find a date that does not conflict somewhere with something. Certainly, Memorial Day weekend has its own set of conflicts / problems.
You all would know better than I about IF there is a common or most common graduation date in CO. I know in NM that the grad date fluctuates widely from district to district, even from high school to high school within a district. Although the 24th may be the most common date there would be no way to find a date that does not conflict somewhere with something. Certainly, Memorial Day weekend has its own set of conflicts / problems.
04/11/2014 12:19:08 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@CoachKedge Graduation dates are an obstacle, as are the dates of Great Southwest. Memorial Day may be the best option we have, though it could potentially be on a weekday of that week as well. Still exploring, and I've taken a couple of discussions offline as I try to find something that will work. Exploring possibilities with all reasonable speed here.
@CoachKedge

Graduation dates are an obstacle, as are the dates of Great Southwest. Memorial Day may be the best option we have, though it could potentially be on a weekday of that week as well. Still exploring, and I've taken a couple of discussions offline as I try to find something that will work.

Exploring possibilities with all reasonable speed here.
04/11/2014 12:42:05 PM
Coach
Sounds like you are hammering out a location, or discus - ing the possibilities. Cool that you spear-headed this idea and I really think it has a shot of turing into something special. We'll just weight on what transpires.
Sounds like you are hammering out a location, or discus - ing the possibilities. Cool that you spear-headed this idea and I really think it has a shot of turing into something special. We'll just weight on what transpires.
04/11/2014 11:03:42 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
We are definitely onboard for a meet like that. Its time we put a spotlight light on the weights. Gee, is it possible to introduce the hammer throw as well. We have a pretty strong history of shot putters here at Bennett High School - count us in!!!
We are definitely onboard for a meet like that. Its time we put a spotlight light on the weights. Gee, is it possible to introduce the hammer throw as well. We have a pretty strong history of shot putters here at Bennett High School - count us in!!!
04/12/2014 9:56:48 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Two things: 1. I won't guarantee it, but I'll say that it is very likely, that Greeley's District-6 Stadium could be procured for this event. 2. Time to re-iterate what I say every year. This state NEEDS a meet of champions. Same as what we're saying here for the throws, but for all events. The best from all classifications finally competing against each other, all in one place.
Two things:
1. I won't guarantee it, but I'll say that it is very likely, that Greeley's District-6 Stadium could be procured for this event.
2. Time to re-iterate what I say every year. This state NEEDS a meet of champions. Same as what we're saying here for the throws, but for all events. The best from all classifications finally competing against each other, all in one place.
04/13/2014 12:39:52 AM
Coach
Sounds like a great idea. I have a kid who transferred at the beginning of the season who can't compete because of CHSAA rules. He's a decent thrower but we are too small to field a JV team. Most meets that add JV events don't add throws and he wasn't interested in throwing at USAT meets when I talked to him about the possibility. I've been able to keep him motivated because the training will help him with football in the fall because I will be his Line coach but I know he is starting to get discouraged. If this happens this year, I'll bring all my throwers!
Sounds like a great idea. I have a kid who transferred at the beginning of the season who can't compete because of CHSAA rules. He's a decent thrower but we are too small to field a JV team. Most meets that add JV events don't add throws and he wasn't interested in throwing at USAT meets when I talked to him about the possibility. I've been able to keep him motivated because the training will help him with football in the fall because I will be his Line coach but I know he is starting to get discouraged. If this happens this year, I'll bring all my throwers!

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.