2018 Arcadia Invitational Missouri Entries???
04/03/2018 7:56:28 PM
Power User
Well we know who won't be going to Southern California this weekend for the 2018 Arcadia Invitational, but who is entered to compete? The Lee's Summit West girls have 14 individuals and 7 relays entered.
Well we know who won't be going to Southern California this weekend for the 2018 Arcadia Invitational, but who is entered to compete?

The Lee's Summit West girls have 14 individuals and 7 relays entered.
04/03/2018 8:06:18 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Does anyone else feel as if we are going backwards??? No qualifying standards to states, denial of entry into national meets, limits on contact days, a new interruption of winter conditioning, the rise of vultures in AAU basketball, falling particiaption, and rise of feel good dont challenge kids leadership/child rearing that is destroying the grit of our young people.
Does anyone else feel as if we are going backwards??? No qualifying standards to states, denial of entry into national meets, limits on contact days, a new interruption of winter conditioning, the rise of vultures in AAU basketball, falling particiaption, and rise of feel good dont challenge kids leadership/child rearing that is destroying the grit of our young people.
04/03/2018 8:08:10 PM
Power User
Hazelwood West sophomore Justin Robinson who ran a US#72 48.56 400 last week is entered.
Hazelwood West sophomore Justin Robinson who ran a US#72 48.56 400 last week is entered.
04/03/2018 11:10:56 PM
User
[quote=bantazmo]Does anyone else feel as if we are going backwards??? No qualifying standards to states, denial of entry into national meets, limits on contact days, a new interruption of winter conditioning, the rise of vultures in AAU basketball, falling particiaption, and rise of feel good dont challenge kids leadership/child rearing that is destroying the grit of our young people.[/quote] @bantazmo
bantazmo wrote:

@bantazmo
04/03/2018 11:33:34 PM
Coach
@bantazmo 100% in agreement with you Coach. When it comes to basketball, I have always remember a John Wooden quote...The sport of college basketball should be about building character in athletes and not making characters of athletes. Really, applicable at every level of amateur sport. Hard work, sacrifice, commitment, healthy competition, perseverance, and mastering a single talent/skill all sustain successful careers, family and community citizenship.
@bantazmo

100% in agreement with you Coach. When it comes to basketball, I have always remember a John Wooden quote...The sport of college basketball should be about building character in athletes and not making characters of athletes. Really, applicable at every level of amateur sport. Hard work, sacrifice, commitment, healthy competition, perseverance, and mastering a single talent/skill all sustain successful careers, family and community citizenship.
04/03/2018 11:58:21 PM
User
I am also in 100% agreement with Bantzmo, this is yet another example of actions that hurt the athletes and do nothing to advance any legitimate educational goal. If this Bubalo character thinks running in the Wildcat Relays is the same competition level as Arcadia then he obviously knows nothing about track, or probably any sport. Specifically with regards to track, I will add one other issue to Bantzmo's list of things that are lacking in Missouri: no support for indoor track. In Illinois, for example, most schools have already run 4-6 indoor meets and have been allowed to have full scale practices since late January/early February. This makes a huge difference; three months of structured, supervised training is not enough time to get most athletes ready to compete at the highest level.
I am also in 100% agreement with Bantzmo, this is yet another example of actions that hurt the athletes and do nothing to advance any legitimate educational goal. If this Bubalo character thinks running in the Wildcat Relays is the same competition level as Arcadia then he obviously knows nothing about track, or probably any sport.

Specifically with regards to track, I will add one other issue to Bantzmo's list of things that are lacking in Missouri: no support for indoor track. In Illinois, for example, most schools have already run 4-6 indoor meets and have been allowed to have full scale practices since late January/early February. This makes a huge difference; three months of structured, supervised training is not enough time to get most athletes ready to compete at the highest level.
04/04/2018 12:44:01 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@CoachAWJ Totally agree about indoor....
@CoachAWJ Totally agree about indoor....
04/04/2018 11:42:52 PM
User
I too feel not allowing these two kids to compete in Arcadia is silly...It’s the top HS outdoor 3200 race in the country...Last year there were 18 state champs running and 25 guys went under 9 min...They should be there!!! On another note I think indoor should be a time of rest for high school kids...It just leads to injuries and we run our HS athletes way to many miles...My son didn’t ever do indoor and cross trained so he never had to run more than 30 miles per week...And he still did pretty darn well... At this age 60 miles running a week is crazy but if they swim and bike they can get the equivalent of 70 miles per week with only 30 miles of running and less likelihood of injury...
I too feel not allowing these two kids to compete in Arcadia is silly...It's the top HS outdoor 3200 race in the country...Last year there were 18 state champs running and 25 guys went under 9 min...They should be there!!!

On another note I think indoor should be a time of rest for high school kids...It just leads to injuries and we run our HS athletes way to many miles...My son didn't ever do indoor and cross trained so he never had to run more than 30 miles per week...And he still did pretty darn well...
At this age 60 miles running a week is crazy but if they swim and bike they can get the equivalent of 70 miles per week with only 30 miles of running and less likelihood of injury...
04/06/2018 9:05:45 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@JeffreyHindman I can't even comment on how silly the Arcadia decision is especially with their flimsy rationale. It defies words It certainly takes a great opportunity away from those kids. As far as indoor, I do agree that it should be open to teams. Similar to how they do in Illinois as someone mentioned. We are talking about January and February for the kids that don't play a winter sport. I agree many kids are pushed to run way to many miles while developing and that X-training is so very underrated by very many distance coaches. However, everyone doesn't have the same ability level and doesn't respond to stimulus the same way. The winter is important for many to even be able to remotely compete at whatever their optimal level is. Training endlessly especially in the cold weather can become tedious, because running is not a game ala football, basketball, soccer. Being able to compete makes a big difference for many kids. Also, track of course is not just about distance runners. It is near impossible for sprinters, jumpers, hurdlers, etc... to get any quality work in on their events given the conditions much of the time in Missouri and the lack of access to indoor tracks. The best and those striving to be their best are competing against those that do have access to better weather and or indoor facilities across the country where they can jump, hurdle, vault, etc... The coaches who are careful, thoughtful, and plan their season well which are many would have a good plan for all involved. When I was in Illinois we used to still only train three days per week during the "indoor season" and a meet on the weekend if there was one (we didn't schedule one every weekend). Strong performances were still able to be produced that propelled many to outdoor success. Teams would be free to do more or less of course. It made a nice transition to outdoor. The kids were much more fit as they trained in a structured environment and there were very few injures in the scheme of things. Plus they didn't have as much idle time. I could argue more kids get injured as they are new to the sport or are unprepared in less than ideal conditions to start the season as meets start pretty quickly if you go from the first day of practice. Track is a very short season for the overwhelming majority of kids. If the first meet is week 4 then week 10 is conference for most its' 7 weeks. Hardly none of any descent size team goes to even Districts let alone Sectionals or state. With the reduction of dual and tris and Varsity invites only have two spots per event in most and your top dogs in more than one thing, it makes for a short season for most kids without many meets. In a sport that is increasingly hard to sell in many ways in the face of sport specialization and for many other reasons, indoor may give kids more opportunity than they would otherwise be afforded in many ways.
@JeffreyHindman

I can't even comment on how silly the Arcadia decision is especially with their flimsy rationale. It defies words It certainly takes a great opportunity away from those kids.

As far as indoor, I do agree that it should be open to teams. Similar to how they do in Illinois as someone mentioned.

We are talking about January and February for the kids that don't play a winter sport.

I agree many kids are pushed to run way to many miles while developing and that X-training is so very underrated by very many distance coaches.

However, everyone doesn't have the same ability level and doesn't respond to stimulus the same way. The winter is important for many to even be able to remotely compete at whatever their optimal level is.

Training endlessly especially in the cold weather can become tedious, because running is not a game ala football, basketball, soccer. Being able to compete makes a big difference for many kids.

Also, track of course is not just about distance runners. It is near impossible for sprinters, jumpers, hurdlers, etc... to get any quality work in on their events given the conditions much of the time in Missouri and the lack of access to indoor tracks.

The best and those striving to be their best are competing against those that do have access to better weather and or indoor facilities across the country where they can jump, hurdle, vault, etc...

The coaches who are careful, thoughtful, and plan their season well which are many would have a good plan for all involved.

When I was in Illinois we used to still only train three days per week during the "indoor season" and a meet on the weekend if there was one (we didn't schedule one every weekend). Strong performances were still able to be produced that propelled many to outdoor success. Teams would be free to do more or less of course.

It made a nice transition to outdoor. The kids were much more fit as they trained in a structured environment and there were very few injures in the scheme of things. Plus they didn't have as much idle time.

I could argue more kids get injured as they are new to the sport or are unprepared in less than ideal conditions to start the season as meets start pretty quickly if you go from the first day of practice. Track is a very short season for the overwhelming majority of kids. If the first meet is week 4 then week 10 is conference for most its' 7 weeks. Hardly none of any descent size team goes to even Districts let alone Sectionals or state.

With the reduction of dual and tris and Varsity invites only have two spots per event in most and your top dogs in more than one thing, it makes for a short season for most kids without many meets.

In a sport that is increasingly hard to sell in many ways in the face of sport specialization and for many other reasons, indoor may give kids more opportunity than they would otherwise be afforded in many ways.
04/06/2018 2:53:06 PM
Coach
so...is USVBA not a big deal in KC??? My question to the Blue Springs School Dist would be what are you doing so to not allow kids to ,literally, skip school for tournaments that start on Friday and end Monday? Not to mention..out of state. Not to mention...not with a school team... I know I am being facetious...but I lose kids every season to USVBA or if I try to work with them I lose them for several Saturday meets..I find it hard to believe this doesn't happen in KC...particularly BSS...
so...is USVBA not a big deal in KC???

My question to the Blue Springs School Dist would be what are you doing so to not allow kids to ,literally, skip school for tournaments that start on Friday and end Monday? Not to mention..out of state. Not to mention...not with a school team...

I know I am being facetious...but I lose kids every season to USVBA or if I try to work with them I lose them for several Saturday meets..I find it hard to believe this doesn't happen in KC...particularly BSS...
04/08/2018 12:45:03 AM
User
Justin Robinson of Hazelwood West ran 47.24 for second place in the 400 invitational. I’m hoping we get a 400 race with him, Hasani Barr, and Brandon Miller. That could be three 46s in one race.
Justin Robinson of Hazelwood West ran 47.24 for second place in the 400 invitational. I'm hoping we get a 400 race with him, Hasani Barr, and Brandon Miller. That could be three 46s in one race.
04/08/2018 1:23:50 PM
User
Arcadia 400 invitational video. Justin Robinson in lane 8 http://www.arcadiainvitational.org/eprofile.php?event_id=63&do=videos&video_id=239571
Arcadia 400 invitational video. Justin Robinson in lane 8 http://www.arcadiainvitational.org/eprofile.php?event_id=63&do=videos&video_id=239571
04/08/2018 10:58:13 PM
User
Fist, congrats to Justin Robinson for a great performance; it's too bad some of our other Missouri athletes were not there. I have been of the grid for several days but I did want to add a few points on indoor track in response to the posts from Mr. Hindman and mutiger31. Austin Hindman is an exceptional athlete who was able to be highly successful without competing in indoor track and that's great for him. But for every one athlete like him I could point to dozens of others who needed the extra push that indoor track provides to compete for state and national championships. On the national scene Edward Cheserek and Brodey Hasty are just two examples of runners who were regulars on the indoor circuit. Missouri examples are: the Mugeches, Victoria Findley, Ryan Riddle, Amos Bartelsmeyer, Jada Moore, and a number of the Lafayette kids. Injuries are an issue in any track program but they happen just as frequently during the outdoor season as indoor. The only way to avoid injuries is to never have athletes do any type of workouts. As mutinger31 points out, indoor track, properly administered, can actually lead to fewer outdoor injuries because kids have six months to get in top competitive conditioning rather than three. I certainly agree that over training high school athletes is a danger. I can't speak for other programs but in ours we have our distance runners going 30-35 miles a week not 60. We have had our share of injuries over the years but we have had more state champions than injuries so I think we are still a plus on the risk/reward scale. I think the same would be true for the Blues, the Express, and USA. Missouri would do well to look at the data for states like Illinois, Tennessee, Ohio and Michigan and consider giving their coaches more freedom. If they did nothing more than backed up the start of practices three weeks (to early February) and allow teams to run in indoor meets by late February I am convinced it would produce a much better environment for high-level success for track and field athletes and provide more competition/development opportunities for younger athletes. In the final analysis that's what it's all about.
Fist, congrats to Justin Robinson for a great performance; it's too bad some of our other Missouri athletes were not there.

I have been of the grid for several days but I did want to add a few points on indoor track in response to the posts from Mr. Hindman and mutiger31. Austin Hindman is an exceptional athlete who was able to be highly successful without competing in indoor track and that's great for him. But for every one athlete like him I could point to dozens of others who needed the extra push that indoor track provides to compete for state and national championships. On the national scene Edward Cheserek and Brodey Hasty are just two examples of runners who were regulars on the indoor circuit. Missouri examples are: the Mugeches, Victoria Findley, Ryan Riddle, Amos Bartelsmeyer, Jada Moore, and a number of the Lafayette kids.

Injuries are an issue in any track program but they happen just as frequently during the outdoor season as indoor. The only way to avoid injuries is to never have athletes do any type of workouts. As mutinger31 points out, indoor track, properly administered, can actually lead to fewer outdoor injuries because kids have six months to get in top competitive conditioning rather than three. I certainly agree that over training high school athletes is a danger. I can't speak for other programs but in ours we have our distance runners going 30-35 miles a week not 60. We have had our share of injuries over the years but we have had more state champions than injuries so I think we are still a plus on the risk/reward scale. I think the same would be true for the Blues, the Express, and USA.

Missouri would do well to look at the data for states like Illinois, Tennessee, Ohio and Michigan and consider giving their coaches more freedom. If they did nothing more than backed up the start of practices three weeks (to early February) and allow teams to run in indoor meets by late February I am convinced it would produce a much better environment for high-level success for track and field athletes and provide more competition/development opportunities for younger athletes. In the final analysis that's what it's all about.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.