Running distances
09/25/2018 9:22:05 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Just for fun. How many miles does your team run a week?. Under 35. 36-50. 51-65. 66-80. 81 or more. How necessary are the 2 a day as some programs do?.
Just for fun. How many miles does your team run a week?.
Under 35.
36-50.
51-65.
66-80.
81 or more.
How necessary are the 2 a day as some programs do?.
09/25/2018 9:24:14 AM
Coach
@szoughaib Under 35, which is the main reason we aren't very good. Our athletes just can't handle more than that. When we had girls who could run 45-50/week and boys who could run 60/week, we were a LOT better. Of course there is a limit, and personally I think you want to allow kids some room to continue to improve in college. Sean Nunn Raytown South
@szoughaib

Under 35, which is the main reason we aren't very good. Our athletes just can't handle more than that. When we had girls who could run 45-50/week and boys who could run 60/week, we were a LOT better.
Of course there is a limit, and personally I think you want to allow kids some room to continue to improve in college.

Sean Nunn
Raytown South
09/25/2018 10:18:12 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
In the mid 2000s we were a 50-60 for girls and 70-80 for the top boys team. We did 2 a days 5 days per week. We are now a 25-35 and 35-45 team early in the year with a reduction in miles as the season goes on. We really don't do a whole lot of 2 a days anymore. Not 100% sure which works best. I think it just depends on the group.
In the mid 2000s we were a 50-60 for girls and 70-80 for the top boys team. We did 2 a days 5 days per week. We are now a 25-35 and 35-45 team early in the year with a reduction in miles as the season goes on. We really don't do a whole lot of 2 a days anymore. Not 100% sure which works best. I think it just depends on the group.
09/25/2018 11:35:45 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@szoughaib we are around 40-45 during the season and start to slowly decrease as the season goes on. We don’t ever do two a days. I’m one that prefers quality over quantity.
@szoughaib we are around 40-45 during the season and start to slowly decrease as the season goes on. We don't ever do two a days. I'm one that prefers quality over quantity.
09/25/2018 12:30:54 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
My varsity ranges from low 40s to mid 50s depending on the age and experience of the kid. We were doing some 2 a days earlier this season when the heat was excessive. If it was a workout day and supposed to be in the upper 90s, we would do the workout before school and then just do a short little run in the afternoon.
My varsity ranges from low 40s to mid 50s depending on the age and experience of the kid.

We were doing some 2 a days earlier this season when the heat was excessive. If it was a workout day and supposed to be in the upper 90s, we would do the workout before school and then just do a short little run in the afternoon.
09/25/2018 12:54:16 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Over the summer I encourage my veterans to try to get up to 80 mile weeks, but during the season we max out under 50 and probably average 35-40. I have watched a number of my runners improve vastly when they go on to college, and I have mixed emotions about it. On one hand, I feel good about the fact that they are still strong, healthy, and able to improve in college... on the other hand... could they have gotten more money or into a better college if we had been hitting 60-70 miles a week during the season? I'm sure I could drive myself crazy going back and forth, but at this point, I am who I am.
Over the summer I encourage my veterans to try to get up to 80 mile weeks, but during the season we max out under 50 and probably average 35-40.

I have watched a number of my runners improve vastly when they go on to college, and I have mixed emotions about it. On one hand, I feel good about the fact that they are still strong, healthy, and able to improve in college... on the other hand... could they have gotten more money or into a better college if we had been hitting 60-70 miles a week during the season? I'm sure I could drive myself crazy going back and forth, but at this point, I am who I am.
09/26/2018 7:30:52 AM
User
I have always maintained that 35 mpw is the minimum threshold for being competitive at the state level. I always started the year with 2 a days, then morphed to one when it cooled off. Loved mega mileage Monday's, when we would do 8 in the am and then another 8 that afternoon.
I have always maintained that 35 mpw is the minimum threshold for being competitive at the state level.
I always started the year with 2 a days, then morphed to one when it cooled off.
Loved mega mileage Monday's, when we would do 8 in the am and then another 8 that afternoon.
09/27/2018 1:05:52 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
when everyone is listing theri weekly mileage are you counting race day saturdays? What are you doing M-F (with a race on Sat...not counting race day???)
when everyone is listing theri weekly mileage are you counting race day saturdays?

What are you doing M-F (with a race on Sat...not counting race day???)
09/27/2018 1:31:24 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Including Saturday race day and Sunday run we will hit 40 for the experienced and 33 for the B team if you can call them that. Goal is to get to 48 by October 15 and then start dropping by 20 percent a week as we get closer to district. It seems to work for us.
Including Saturday race day and Sunday run we will hit 40 for the experienced and 33 for the B team if you can call them that. Goal is to get to 48 by October 15 and then start dropping by 20 percent a week as we get closer to district. It seems to work for us.
10/01/2018 3:06:55 PM
Coach
[quote=missilesilo]I have always maintained that 35 mpw is the minimum threshold for being competitive at the state level. I always started the year with 2 a days, then morphed to one when it cooled off. Loved mega mileage Monday's, when we would do 8 in the am and then another 8 that afternoon.[/quote] There was a time when I seriously considered "twenty mile Tuesdays". It has such a nice ring. In the end, I decided it was a little bit too much for high school kids. Sean Nunn Raytown South
missilesilo wrote:
I have always maintained that 35 mpw is the minimum threshold for being competitive at the state level.
I always started the year with 2 a days, then morphed to one when it cooled off.
Loved mega mileage Monday's, when we would do 8 in the am and then another 8 that afternoon.

There was a time when I seriously considered "twenty mile Tuesdays". It has such a nice ring. In the end, I decided it was a little bit too much for high school kids.

Sean Nunn
Raytown South

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.