Starting May 23rd we will be depreciating the MileSplit discussion boards, until that time you will be unable to start new threads or post replies
Entry Times
04/25/2019 9:46:17 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
Soooooo has anyone ever noticed that people inflate their athlete's times heading into a meet??? Yes, yes we have all done it. Including me. My question is when you put someone in at a time they have no hope of running just to put them in the fast heat really does mess up the races. Food for thought. I look at it like speed on the highway. Most of us hold at about 5 mph over but soooooooooommmmeeeee of you like to live your life a 1/4 of a mile at a time driving 100 mph vs. 70 in a 65. LOL
Soooooo has anyone ever noticed that people inflate their athlete's times heading into a meet??? Yes, yes we have all done it. Including me. My question is when you put someone in at a time they have no hope of running just to put them in the fast heat really does mess up the races. Food for thought. I look at it like speed on the highway. Most of us hold at about 5 mph over but soooooooooommmmeeeee of you like to live your life a 1/4 of a mile at a time driving 100 mph vs. 70 in a 65. LOL
04/25/2019 10:27:52 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I have always hated people doing this. Only time I put in anything other than "legit" time is early season I might use old mark or guess what they will run to help place them appropriate. I never inflate and often it is based on time trial. By this point it is just silly to do it.
I have always hated people doing this. Only time I put in anything other than "legit" time is early season I might use old mark or guess what they will run to help place them appropriate. I never inflate and often it is based on time trial. By this point it is just silly to do it.
04/25/2019 10:38:18 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@bantazmo This late in the year I don't think we should be allowed to manually enter times. I have seen GROSS exaggerations in relay and individual times this year. I am particularly disturbed by this because it has negatively affected lane assignments for individuals and relays on our team.
@bantazmo

This late in the year I don't think we should be allowed to manually enter times. I have seen GROSS exaggerations in relay and individual times this year. I am particularly disturbed by this because it has negatively affected lane assignments for individuals and relays on our team.
04/25/2019 11:34:30 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@torbrooks agreed in most accounts. Thankfully, we have that rule in place at districts.
@torbrooks agreed in most accounts. Thankfully, we have that rule in place at districts.
04/25/2019 12:00:31 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
I admit to being guilty of this. I was tired of having to explain to my kids they were in the slower heat because someone else lied about their times. I know we are supposed to be the bigger person here, but when I see my kids get bumped (specifically in relays it seems) from times that are wildly off, it's really frustrating and I'll occasionally bump our time up to compensate to keep our team in the correct heat.
I admit to being guilty of this. I was tired of having to explain to my kids they were in the slower heat because someone else lied about their times. I know we are supposed to be the bigger person here, but when I see my kids get bumped (specifically in relays it seems) from times that are wildly off, it's really frustrating and I'll occasionally bump our time up to compensate to keep our team in the correct heat.
04/25/2019 1:04:27 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
The only time I do this is if I have a relay runner who has not run opens, and then I use a time trial time. It is really frustrating when folks do it and mess up what should be the optimal lane assignments.
The only time I do this is if I have a relay runner who has not run opens, and then I use a time trial time. It is really frustrating when folks do it and mess up what should be the optimal lane assignments.
04/25/2019 2:14:53 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
COACHES,
COACHES,
04/25/2019 2:21:49 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@R-Taylor COACHES, The protest period for entry performances into the District meet is from 6:00 on Wednesday until 12:00 on Thursday, Page 7, A, MSHSAA Track & Field Manual. Coaches must be prepared to provide proof of all performances in case one or more performances are challenged. Ron Whittaker State Meet Referee
@R-Taylor
COACHES,
The protest period for entry performances into the District meet is from 6:00 on Wednesday until 12:00 on Thursday, Page 7, A, MSHSAA Track & Field Manual. Coaches must be prepared to provide proof of all performances in case one or more performances are challenged.
Ron Whittaker
State Meet Referee
04/25/2019 2:40:22 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@Appraiser25Y yes sir. We are talking more about the regular season meets. :)
@Appraiser25Y yes sir. We are talking more about the regular season meets. :)
04/25/2019 3:53:39 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@Appraiser25Y Yes, districts are fair and it is a breath of fresh air when we know the times and marks are correct. Much like the the other coaches I realize that early in the year we may need to put in a guesstimated time. 1 month into the season I don't think manual entries should be allowed unless the athletes has no times during the current season.
@Appraiser25Y

Yes, districts are fair and it is a breath of fresh air when we know the times and marks are correct. Much like the the other coaches I realize that early in the year we may need to put in a guesstimated time. 1 month into the season I don't think manual entries should be allowed unless the athletes has no times during the current season.
04/27/2019 9:40:12 AM
Coach
Last season, we won several races from LANE 8 after we entered a reasonable seed time for where we were in that point in the season. I'd like to say that I'm somewhat aware of what we can run, but also what other teams are prepared to run. In each instance I knew there was no way we were the 8th fastest in the races. After this happens 2,3,4 weekends/races in a row It gets kinda silly and frustrating to say the least. As a result we were put in a position where we have to account for inflated seed times when entering events just to make sure we are in a somewhat appropriate lane. At the end of the day the MEET HOST has the option to ask for a verifiable performance that was attained within a certain time frame. There are already several high school meets that implement this policy (KU Relays, Arcadia etc). There is nothing preventing the meet host from having the same entry requirements that we for Districts. The bigger issue IMO is the pointless deceleration/check in procedure. What exactly is the point of checking in or declaring? Seems like just a way to give the athletes a hip number. Wouldn't it more efficient to just give the coaches all the hip numbers with the meet packet at the start of the meet or have a scratch meeting (we used to have these) and then seed the meet? Then if the athlete does not check in our declare, they are scratched from the meet, therefore eliminating or at least reducing the number of heats with empty lanes. I have yet to see a heat re-seeded after the check-in/declaration period closes. As a result, we see multiple heats run with open lanes, which in turn down not make for a good race for the teams with 2-3 competitors in the heat, and contributes to a meet dragging on much longer than it should. Meet host, require a verified performance for major mid season invites. Reexamine the whole check-in/declaration process and it's function. Maybe a bit more than 2 cents...
Last season, we won several races from LANE 8 after we entered a reasonable seed time for where we were in that point in the season. I'd like to say that I'm somewhat aware of what we can run, but also what other teams are prepared to run. In each instance I knew there was no way we were the 8th fastest in the races. After this happens 2,3,4 weekends/races in a row It gets kinda silly and frustrating to say the least. As a result we were put in a position where we have to account for inflated seed times when entering events just to make sure we are in a somewhat appropriate lane. At the end of the day the MEET HOST has the option to ask for a verifiable performance that was attained within a certain time frame. There are already several high school meets that implement this policy (KU Relays, Arcadia etc). There is nothing preventing the meet host from having the same entry requirements that we for Districts. The bigger issue IMO is the pointless deceleration/check in procedure. What exactly is the point of checking in or declaring? Seems like just a way to give the athletes a hip number. Wouldn't it more efficient to just give the coaches all the hip numbers with the meet packet at the start of the meet or have a scratch meeting (we used to have these) and then seed the meet? Then if the athlete does not check in our declare, they are scratched from the meet, therefore eliminating or at least reducing the number of heats with empty lanes. I have yet to see a heat re-seeded after the check-in/declaration period closes. As a result, we see multiple heats run with open lanes, which in turn down not make for a good race for the teams with 2-3 competitors in the heat, and contributes to a meet dragging on much longer than it should. Meet host, require a verified performance for major mid season invites. Reexamine the whole check-in/declaration process and it's function. Maybe a bit more than 2 cents...
04/28/2019 12:01:28 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I hate that you can see entry performances for meets before the deadline for entries has passed. I think all meets should be like the district entries, where entries are hidden until the deadline passes. I think people look at these performance lists and then make changes to their entries to get them in better lanes or heats.
I hate that you can see entry performances for meets before the deadline for entries has passed. I think all meets should be like the district entries, where entries are hidden until the deadline passes. I think people look at these performance lists and then make changes to their entries to get them in better lanes or heats.
04/28/2019 2:36:06 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
A little shameless self-promotion while we are talking about it: MileSplit's free registration system allows you to accept only verified seeds. This can be from just the current season or allow PRs from previous years. One other feature that helps with this is "Update Seeds" which allows meet managers to automatically pull in a better seed if the athlete has achieved a better mark from when the coach originally entered them into the meet. We've also recently added some features such as copying entries over from a previous meet aimed at saving time for coaches, because we know the live of a coach is demanding enough. In regards to showing entries - our system also has a setting for allowing the public to view them any time, after registration has closed, or not at all.
A little shameless self-promotion while we are talking about it:
MileSplit's free registration system allows you to accept only verified seeds. This can be from just the current season or allow PRs from previous years. One other feature that helps with this is "Update Seeds" which allows meet managers to automatically pull in a better seed if the athlete has achieved a better mark from when the coach originally entered them into the meet.

We've also recently added some features such as copying entries over from a previous meet aimed at saving time for coaches, because we know the live of a coach is demanding enough.

In regards to showing entries - our system also has a setting for allowing the public to view them any time, after registration has closed, or not at all.
04/28/2019 6:53:35 PM
Coach
[quote=wcarunner]A little shameless self-promotion while we are talking about it: MileSplit's free registration system allows you to accept only verified seeds. This can be from just the current season or allow PRs from previous years. One other feature that helps with this is "Update Seeds" which allows meet managers to automatically pull in a better seed if the athlete has achieved a better mark from when the coach originally entered them into the meet. We've also recently added some features such as copying entries over from a previous meet aimed at saving time for coaches, because we know the live of a coach is demanding enough. In regards to showing entries - our system also has a setting for allowing the public to view them any time, after registration has closed, or not at all.[/quote] Nothing shameless here. Hopefully this will be s feature more people take advantage of!
wcarunner wrote:
A little shameless self-promotion while we are talking about it:
MileSplit's free registration system allows you to accept only verified seeds. This can be from just the current season or allow PRs from previous years. One other feature that helps with this is "Update Seeds" which allows meet managers to automatically pull in a better seed if the athlete has achieved a better mark from when the coach originally entered them into the meet.

We've also recently added some features such as copying entries over from a previous meet aimed at saving time for coaches, because we know the live of a coach is demanding enough.

In regards to showing entries - our system also has a setting for allowing the public to view them any time, after registration has closed, or not at all.

Nothing shameless here. Hopefully this will be s feature more people take advantage of!

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.