Why won't MSHSAA follow NFHS?
07/28/2020 12:04:35 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Does anyone have a reason why MSHSAA has chosen to go it's own way and not follow NFHS guidelines specifically on 6 & 7 in the below article (also discussed in the STL Post Dispatch) today. Namely online and participation and some sports are safer than others. [url=https://www.highschoolot.com/9-takeaways-from-the-nfhs-press-conference-about-coronavirus-high-school-sports/19207283/]https://www.highschoolot.com/9-takeaways-from-the-nfhs-press-conference-about-coronavirus-high-school-sports/19207283/[/url]
Does anyone have a reason why MSHSAA has chosen to go it's own way and not follow NFHS guidelines specifically on 6 & 7 in the below article (also discussed in the STL Post Dispatch) today.

Namely online and participation and some sports are safer than others.

https://www.highschoolot.com/9-takeaways-from-the-nfhs-press-conference-about-coronavirus-high-school-sports/19207283/
07/28/2020 3:59:37 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
In a way they did 70 years ago. The 49-50 school year was the first official year that all black schools competed in the MSHSAA state championships in TF and CC. However, it was the 53-54 school year before those same schools were able to do so in basketball.
In a way they did 70 years ago. The 49-50 school year was the first official year that all black schools competed in the MSHSAA state championships in TF and CC. However, it was the 53-54 school year before those same schools were able to do so in basketball.
07/30/2020 8:47:29 AM
Coach
@Hays Where does it specifically state in the MSHSAA Handbook By-Laws that a school district MUST be in a traditional school setting (kids in the classroom)in order to practice sport and participate in competition? What I am sharing is from the Handbook, a "normal school day" and/or student academic eligibility is not dependent being physically present in a classroom. Page 45 Q4: How should our high school determine our "normal school day"? A4: Your normal school day is based on the maximum number of credit-bearing classes that a student can take during a semester during your publicized school day. ---The response does not define in part or in whole that a "normal school day" is a student physically sitting in a classroom, but rather class credits.--- Page 47 2.3.4 Grades 9-12 Enrollment Options for Academic Eligibility: The following options are available to students in order to meet the requirements of By-Law 2.3.2 a and b above (page 42...grade requirements for participation during and prior semester) b. Non-Traditional Option 1 1. The student is an enrolled student of the high school but ALL OR SOME OF THE COURSES/CREDITS ARE NOT TAKEN AT THE LOCAL HIGH SCHOOL (virtual, post-secondary, work study, etc). ---The way the I am interrupting this by-Law is a student remains eligible to participate in sport or activities though he/she is not physically in the classroom but enrolled and taking online courses through the high school.--- This means MSHSAA does recognize virtual learning (online classes) as part of of what meets the Academic Eligibility requirement.
@Hays
Where does it specifically state in the MSHSAA Handbook By-Laws that a school district MUST be in a traditional school setting (kids in the classroom)in order to practice sport and participate in competition?

What I am sharing is from the Handbook, a "normal school day" and/or student academic eligibility is not dependent being physically present in a classroom.

Page 45
Q4: How should our high school determine our "normal school day"?
A4: Your normal school day is based on the maximum number of credit-bearing classes that a student can take during a semester during your publicized school day.
---The response does not define in part or in whole that a "normal school day" is a student physically sitting in a classroom, but rather class credits.---

Page 47
2.3.4 Grades 9-12 Enrollment Options for Academic Eligibility: The following options are available to students in order to meet the requirements of By-Law 2.3.2 a and b above (page 42...grade requirements for participation during and prior semester)
b. Non-Traditional Option 1
1. The student is an enrolled student of the high school but ALL OR SOME
OF THE COURSES/CREDITS ARE NOT TAKEN AT THE LOCAL HIGH SCHOOL (virtual,
post-secondary, work study, etc).

---The way the I am interrupting this by-Law is a student remains eligible to participate in sport or activities though he/she is not physically in the classroom but enrolled and taking online courses through the high school.---

This means MSHSAA does recognize virtual learning (online classes) as part of of what meets the Academic Eligibility requirement.
07/30/2020 8:59:03 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@mcehlen And also is allowing home schoolers now to participate without every being in the building or affiliated with the local school in any way.
@mcehlen

And also is allowing home schoolers now to participate without every being in the building or affiliated with the local school in any way.
07/30/2020 9:09:10 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Both of those questions are beyond my pay grade. It is best to go directly in they know. Never have I had a problem talking with those people in that office.
Both of those questions are beyond my pay grade. It is best to go directly in they know. Never have I had a problem talking with those people in that office.
07/30/2020 2:26:04 PM
Coach
@Hays Thanks. I shared my questions with the MSHSAA Board Director for my neck of the woods. Truly frustrating that students high school experience becomes a victim in part by a politicized culture.
@Hays
Thanks. I shared my questions with the MSHSAA Board Director for my neck of the woods.

Truly frustrating that students high school experience becomes a victim in part by a politicized culture.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.