Please explain Milesplit's requirement of the "onboarding" process for the state series.
10/08/2021 11:12:56 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Why is "onboarding" now a requirement of all athletes per MSHSAA's email last night? Seems like we're "fishing" for student/athlete information. We've used the Milesplit network for all of our meets with no issues so far, so why would this be required for the state series? Surely there is a better reason for this requirement than fishing for more subscriptions and building a larger email database for sending out advertisements. To start the onboarding process, students must create their own Milesplit login. One issue our students will have, is that they aren't supposed to use their school email addresses to "sign up" for anything. With today's kids, none of them have Facebook and few have alternate email addresses. This generation just doesn't emphasize those 2 methods of communication. Side note, Milesplit also requires you to be a paid subscriber to use their message boards now. Therefore, I am speaking on behalf of several other coaches who can no longer post to Milesplit's message board.
Why is "onboarding" now a requirement of all athletes per MSHSAA's email last night? Seems like we're "fishing" for student/athlete information. We've used the Milesplit network for all of our meets with no issues so far, so why would this be required for the state series? Surely there is a better reason for this requirement than fishing for more subscriptions and building a larger email database for sending out advertisements.

To start the onboarding process, students must create their own Milesplit login. One issue our students will have, is that they aren't supposed to use their school email addresses to "sign up" for anything. With today's kids, none of them have Facebook and few have alternate email addresses. This generation just doesn't emphasize those 2 methods of communication.

Side note, Milesplit also requires you to be a paid subscriber to use their message boards now. Therefore, I am speaking on behalf of several other coaches who can no longer post to Milesplit's message board.
10/08/2021 11:46:48 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@CoachSwift I completely agree. I emailed our MSHSAA Advisory Committee member pretty much the same complaint. He said he called Lou at the MSHSAA office and that there would be another email going out later this afternoon with more info/clarrification. Our area rep. thought maybe just the coach needs to claim their team was all that needed to be done. Until a kid is held out of an event/ or the threat to be held out of an event exists, I'm not going to ask my athletes to create a profile and claim themselves. Seems phishy (fishy) to me. LB
@CoachSwift I completely agree. I emailed our MSHSAA Advisory Committee member pretty much the same complaint. He said he called Lou at the MSHSAA office and that there would be another email going out later this afternoon with more info/clarrification. Our area rep. thought maybe just the coach needs to claim their team was all that needed to be done.

Until a kid is held out of an event/ or the threat to be held out of an event exists, I'm not going to ask my athletes to create a profile and claim themselves.

Seems phishy (fishy) to me.

LB
10/08/2021 12:10:08 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
After posting my question, there was a 2nd email sent out asking us to disregard last night's email. Apparently there was a possible mix up with onboarding teams vs athletes. I think there will be a 3rd email coming out soon to clarify, but I think ONLY the coach will have to claim their team. The individual athletes should not have to create a login and claim themselves. So for now, disregard the instructions for onboarding your athletes.
After posting my question, there was a 2nd email sent out asking us to disregard last night's email. Apparently there was a possible mix up with onboarding teams vs athletes. I think there will be a 3rd email coming out soon to clarify, but I think ONLY the coach will have to claim their team. The individual athletes should not have to create a login and claim themselves. So for now, disregard the instructions for onboarding your athletes.
10/08/2021 1:14:03 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@CoachSwift Recent email clarifies that coaches need to connect their teams.
@CoachSwift Recent email clarifies that coaches need to connect their teams.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.