Cardinal Ritter
08/22/2018 10:28:45 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Cardinal Ritter got a transfer from California over the summer who was California State champion in the 300h, Caleb Robinson(36.61). I fully expect them to break the overall class record in the 4x400. the current record is 3:14.04 by Hazelwood East....if that whole team remains healthy I can see them running 1:24.xx and 3:11.xx
Cardinal Ritter got a transfer from California over the summer who was California State champion in the 300h, Caleb Robinson(36.61). I fully expect them to break the overall class record in the 4x400. the current record is 3:14.04 by Hazelwood East....if that whole team remains healthy I can see them running 1:24.xx and 3:11.xx
08/22/2018 9:52:19 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
With a squad of Barr/Williams/Steward and now Roberson? Phew! I like those odds.
With a squad of Barr/Williams/Steward and now Roberson? Phew! I like those odds.
08/25/2018 4:50:40 PM
Coach
There have been lots of teams with the stuff to break that great record on paper. The biggest issue is that the 4x4 finals are usually either the 6th or the 8th race of the meet for those athletes, which makes it tough to put it together. In 2006 we had a 3:14ish add-up, but due to the issues mentioned were "only" able to manage 3:18low. By that point in the meet it was Mark Mitchell's 8th race, Andrew McDowell's 8th race, and Maurice Mitchell's 8th race. The fact that it was close to 100 degrees both days didn't help either. I wish Cardinal Ritter the best. I was there when that record was set (unlike Hays and Missile Silo, I wasn't coaching then). That was a long time ago but I seem to remember that relay using some slick little "semi-blind" hand-offs (hips facing fully forward like a blind hand-off, but just a little peek back to time the exchange correctly). I have tried in vain to get kids to use those, without much success. Anyway, they were obviously a great relay team to run that fast clear back in 1986. Sean Nunn Raytown South
There have been lots of teams with the stuff to break that great record on paper. The biggest issue is that the 4x4 finals are usually either the 6th or the 8th race of the meet for those athletes, which makes it tough to put it together.

In 2006 we had a 3:14ish add-up, but due to the issues mentioned were "only" able to manage 3:18low. By that point in the meet it was Mark Mitchell's 8th race, Andrew McDowell's 8th race, and Maurice Mitchell's 8th race. The fact that it was close to 100 degrees both days didn't help either.

I wish Cardinal Ritter the best. I was there when that record was set (unlike Hays and Missile Silo, I wasn't coaching then). That was a long time ago but I seem to remember that relay using some slick little "semi-blind" hand-offs (hips facing fully forward like a blind hand-off, but just a little peek back to time the exchange correctly). I have tried in vain to get kids to use those, without much success. Anyway, they were obviously a great relay team to run that fast clear back in 1986.

Sean Nunn
Raytown South
08/27/2018 12:54:28 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@seannunn I think this record will be demolished. If these guys run conservatively, I think they'll run 3:14. I fully expect that Jameson Williams and Hasani Barr to be in sub 47 shape and Lee Steward sub 49 by years end. The biggest issue will be health. Hopefully they'll all make it through the year unscathed.
@seannunn

I think this record will be demolished. If these guys run conservatively, I think they'll run 3:14. I fully expect that Jameson Williams and Hasani Barr to be in sub 47 shape and Lee Steward sub 49 by years end. The biggest issue will be health. Hopefully they'll all make it through the year unscathed.
08/27/2018 5:05:12 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@seannunn None have had the level of talent this Cardinal Ritter team will have. They could load their relay up in the prelims to break the state record. I thought the Hazelwood Central team a few years back had the talent but unfortunately Matt Quarells was kept out of track due to the politics of football. Cardinal Ritter can run guys like this in a prefect world: Caleb Roberson 110h/300h Hasani Barr 200/400 Jameson Williams 100/300h Lee Steward 400 This team would be good enough to sweep EVERY open sprint event, and Lee would be the only person who absolutely had to run prelims of the 4x200 and 4x400. These guys are THAT talented. Even conservatively speaking they should run 3:13....and if we get aggressive the talent says 3:09.xx
@seannunn

None have had the level of talent this Cardinal Ritter team will have. They could load their relay up in the prelims to break the state record. I thought the Hazelwood Central team a few years back had the talent but unfortunately Matt Quarells was kept out of track due to the politics of football.

Cardinal Ritter can run guys like this in a prefect world:
Caleb Roberson 110h/300h
Hasani Barr 200/400
Jameson Williams 100/300h
Lee Steward 400

This team would be good enough to sweep EVERY open sprint event, and Lee would be the only person who absolutely had to run prelims of the 4x200 and 4x400. These guys are THAT talented. Even conservatively speaking they should run 3:13....and if we get aggressive the talent says 3:09.xx
08/28/2018 10:17:11 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@keithhurdles I heard from one of the kids that Mr. Roberson is also a 23ft long jumper as well as a mid to low 21 seconds in the 200.
@keithhurdles

I heard from one of the kids that Mr. Roberson is also a 23ft long jumper as well as a mid to low 21 seconds in the 200.
08/28/2018 3:10:04 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@torbrooks thats more or less accurate he has PRs of 10.70, 21.58, 14.15, 36.61, and 23'6.
@torbrooks thats more or less accurate he has PRs of 10.70, 21.58, 14.15, 36.61, and 23'6.
08/28/2018 3:12:35 PM
Coach
@keithhurdles I am not arguing with you; their PRs add up to under the record. My only point is that many, many things can happen between now and the end of May. We had 4 guys a few years ago who made us seriously entertain thoughts of a 3:11ish relay (Quincy Hall + 3 others). Two ended up academically ineligible and their replacements were much slower. We still ran 3:18, but even the 4 that ran had PR's that added up to 3:16. I hope they run 3:08. That would be great for Missouri. Sean Nunn
@keithhurdles

I am not arguing with you; their PRs add up to under the record. My only point is that many, many things can happen between now and the end of May.

We had 4 guys a few years ago who made us seriously entertain thoughts of a 3:11ish relay (Quincy Hall + 3 others). Two ended up academically ineligible and their replacements were much slower. We still ran 3:18, but even the 4 that ran had PR's that added up to 3:16.

I hope they run 3:08. That would be great for Missouri.

Sean Nunn
08/28/2018 3:19:04 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@keithhurdles The Rich get Richer. Great kids and incredible athletes. I'll get to see them close up as I'll be coaching at Trinity again this year. They'll bring the best out of everyone because of their depth. Any team going up against them will need to run their butts off to keep up. Anything that brings recruiters into this area is good. Looking forward to the season.
@keithhurdles

The Rich get Richer. Great kids and incredible athletes. I'll get to see them close up as I'll be coaching at Trinity again this year. They'll bring the best out of everyone because of their depth. Any team going up against them will need to run their butts off to keep up.

Anything that brings recruiters into this area is good. Looking forward to the season.
08/28/2018 3:27:55 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@seannunn I wholeheartedly agree with you. Anything can happen and even if healthy and academically eligible most teams with this talent would have guys running the 4x400 on their 8th race in the crazy Missouri weather. This is one reason why I think Cardinal Ritter is just slightly different....they have depth for relays in prelims with guys like Lee Steward, Keith Jones, Keven Lomax, and Rashard Ricketts. I dont think anyone on that team has to run 8 events at state which is a HUGE advantage when chasing records. If you can keep guys to 5 races in that two day span, you are talking a different ball game because they are a lot LESS fatigued. But again, we will see. @torbrooks congrats on the coaching gig!! Kemeric Winston can play spoiler to Ritter sweeping all open sprint events.
@seannunn I wholeheartedly agree with you. Anything can happen and even if healthy and academically eligible most teams with this talent would have guys running the 4x400 on their 8th race in the crazy Missouri weather. This is one reason why I think Cardinal Ritter is just slightly different....they have depth for relays in prelims with guys like Lee Steward, Keith Jones, Keven Lomax, and Rashard Ricketts. I dont think anyone on that team has to run 8 events at state which is a HUGE advantage when chasing records. If you can keep guys to 5 races in that two day span, you are talking a different ball game because they are a lot LESS fatigued.

But again, we will see.

@torbrooks congrats on the coaching gig!! Kemeric Winston can play spoiler to Ritter sweeping all open sprint events.
08/28/2018 6:55:42 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
Here’s the athlete profile in question [url=http://ca.milesplit.com/athletes/6780831#.W4XSyKROmEc]http://ca.milesplit.com/athletes/6780831#.W4XSyKROmEc[/url]
Here's the athlete profile in question http://ca.milesplit.com/athletes/6780831#.W4XSyKROmEc
08/29/2018 9:46:16 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
This will be exciting to monitor and watch (maybe we'll get to host the Sectional and have to re-do our record board...again) as the season goes along, only 181 days until first practice day. Here at Hillsboro, we graduated 18 seniors and got a transfer from Winfield and the island paradise of Samoa.
This will be exciting to monitor and watch (maybe we'll get to host the Sectional and have to re-do our record board...again) as the season goes along, only 181 days until first practice day. Here at Hillsboro, we graduated 18 seniors and got a transfer from Winfield and the island paradise of Samoa.
08/29/2018 9:56:10 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@seannunn You are correct, anything can happen. Its not even a given that the 4 people we have discussed will EVER run the 4x4 this year. Mr. Roberson is multifaceted and may not ever run the 4x4. The problem Ritter will have is what to run the kids in and yes their depth is a plus but replacing a 47 leg with a 49 could be just the thing that prevents them from breaking the state record. I would just love to see them load them up in a meet this year to just show us all what they can do. I ran track in Missouri many many years ago and did not start coaching until 2007. In the years since 2007 I've not seen any team to match this lineup. Although Mr. Roberson does not have any real recorded 400 times to tell us what he can run in an open 400, I know if he's run 36.x in the 300 hurdles he can definitely run 48.x or better. Anyone who's seen Jamison knows he is a potential 46.x and I know for a fact that Hasani is finally healthy and will make up for lost time and run much faster than he did his sophomore year when he was dinged up. With that being said, even if they are not 100% I think this quartet can run 3:13 They may not do this at state to try and maximize points but I would like to see them load it up just one time this year.
@seannunn

You are correct, anything can happen. Its not even a given that the 4 people we have discussed will EVER run the 4x4 this year. Mr. Roberson is multifaceted and may not ever run the 4x4. The problem Ritter will have is what to run the kids in and yes their depth is a plus but replacing a 47 leg with a 49 could be just the thing that prevents them from breaking the state record. I would just love to see them load them up in a meet this year to just show us all what they can do.

I ran track in Missouri many many years ago and did not start coaching until 2007. In the years since 2007 I've not seen any team to match this lineup. Although Mr. Roberson does not have any real recorded 400 times to tell us what he can run in an open 400, I know if he's run 36.x in the 300 hurdles he can definitely run 48.x or better. Anyone who's seen Jamison knows he is a potential 46.x and I know for a fact that Hasani is finally healthy and will make up for lost time and run much faster than he did his sophomore year when he was dinged up. With that being said, even if they are not 100% I think this quartet can run 3:13 They may not do this at state to try and maximize points but I would like to see them load it up just one time this year.
09/14/2018 10:33:15 AM
User
I agree with several statements regarding the 4x4 record. The state meet is a beast to handle, and at the end of the meet it is very difficult to be at an optimal level after 6 or 7 races. I also agree that Ritter has a more talented squad than others that may have attempted to break the record. Another huge factor is the lack of competition they will have at state. I remember the 2014 squad CBC had that could have been 3:11-12. I thought it would have been a showdown with them and HWC. In 2013 they won the race by 20m, The 2014 group ran 3:16 in April, and won the state 4x4 in 2014 by over 3 seconds, and had a 20m lead 600m into the race. The anchor only ran 49 and the 3rd leg only ran his open 400 time. They had HWC, Blue Springs, Lafayette, all the big schools. It will be a much different story with Ritter in class 3.
I agree with several statements regarding the 4x4 record. The state meet is a beast to handle, and at the end of the meet it is very difficult to be at an optimal level after 6 or 7 races. I also agree that Ritter has a more talented squad than others that may have attempted to break the record.

Another huge factor is the lack of competition they will have at state. I remember the 2014 squad CBC had that could have been 3:11-12. I thought it would have been a showdown with them and HWC. In 2013 they won the race by 20m, The 2014 group ran 3:16 in April, and won the state 4x4 in 2014 by over 3 seconds, and had a 20m lead 600m into the race. The anchor only ran 49 and the 3rd leg only ran his open 400 time. They had HWC, Blue Springs, Lafayette, all the big schools. It will be a much different story with Ritter in class 3.
09/14/2018 10:33:59 AM
Coach
Does anyone (DEAN?) know if there is a comprehensive list of state records, as opposed to state MEET records? I would be anxious to know if 3:14.0 is the overall state record or not. (Our school record was set at a district meet in the 4x4.) Sean Nunn Raytown South
Does anyone (DEAN?) know if there is a comprehensive list of state records, as opposed to state MEET records? I would be anxious to know if 3:14.0 is the overall state record or not. (Our school record was set at a district meet in the 4x4.)

Sean Nunn
Raytown South
09/14/2018 11:41:30 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@seannunn I don't. I do have a list of most district, sectional and state times and the state meet record is the fastest I have on those lists. What year did Ray South run their 3:14?
@seannunn
I don't. I do have a list of most district, sectional and state times and the state meet record is the fastest I have on those lists. What year did Ray South run their 3:14?
09/14/2018 11:57:55 PM
User
@keithhurdles Would be fun to watch However, there is an old coaching sdage thst goes: Kids that transfer in are also likely to transfer out. I had Liz Santos for ONE track meet. She shattered the school 800 record. Never saw her sgain.
@keithhurdles

Would be fun to watch
However, there is an old coaching sdage thst goes:
Kids that transfer in are also likely to transfer out.
I had Liz Santos for ONE track meet. She shattered the school 800 record. Never saw her sgain.
09/15/2018 1:19:39 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Hays, They didn't, I think Sean was talking about having seen Hazelwood East run their 3:14.04.
Hays, They didn't, I think Sean was talking about having seen Hazelwood East run their 3:14.04.
09/21/2018 11:52:31 AM
Coach
@Hays We never ran 3:14. I was referring to Hazelwood East in 1986 at state. Under the category of "times that are superior to the state meet record", Maurice Mitchell did run 10.26 FAT at KU relays his junior year, but the wind was slightly over allowable (+2.3), so it wouldn't count as a record. Sean Nunn Raytown South
@Hays

We never ran 3:14. I was referring to Hazelwood East in 1986 at state.

Under the category of "times that are superior to the state meet record", Maurice Mitchell did run 10.26 FAT at KU relays his junior year, but the wind was slightly over allowable (+2.3), so it wouldn't count as a record.

Sean Nunn
Raytown South
09/24/2018 10:46:05 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
If they go after the record, they have to do that in the prelims while their legs are fresh.
If they go after the record, they have to do that in the prelims while their legs are fresh.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.