2019 cross country season
10/11/2018 10:08:50 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Lets pretend we are in August 0f 2019. What would everyone like to see happen for next year. A. 5 classes. B. Equale split when it comes to school enrollment. C. Keep things as they are right now. D. Score fewer kids in class 1. E. Sectionals in all levels not just class 4. F. __________________________________________________________. Open to any suggestions. Maybe this should be a pole thing???.
Lets pretend we are in August 0f 2019. What would everyone like to see happen for next year.
A. 5 classes.
B. Equale split when it comes to school enrollment.
C. Keep things as they are right now.
D. Score fewer kids in class 1.
E. Sectionals in all levels not just class 4.
F. __________________________________________________________.
Open to any suggestions. Maybe this should be a pole thing???.
10/11/2018 1:12:10 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=CoryD1138]@szoughaib Qualifying times, although it won't happen.[/quote] Qualifying times are impossible in cross country. Just look at the list of top times. Some of those courses are running 30-45 seconds faster than most. 5 classes would help, but only if they change to scoring top 4 in class 1. If it is impossible to change the class 1 scoring then I'd say keep 4 classes, but significantly increase the number of schools in class 1. Switching to 5 classes and only scoring 4 in class 1 seems like what would be best for the sport overall. I also think that all classes should have districts and sectionals or a super-district.
CoryD1138 wrote:
@szoughaib Qualifying times, although it won't happen.

Qualifying times are impossible in cross country. Just look at the list of top times. Some of those courses are running 30-45 seconds faster than most.

5 classes would help, but only if they change to scoring top 4 in class 1. If it is impossible to change the class 1 scoring then I'd say keep 4 classes, but significantly increase the number of schools in class 1.
Switching to 5 classes and only scoring 4 in class 1 seems like what would be best for the sport overall.
I also think that all classes should have districts and sectionals or a super-district.
10/11/2018 2:21:28 PM
Coach
@szoughaib Raytown South return to the early 2000's when we were competitive in the sport. Sean Nunn Raytown South
@szoughaib

Raytown South return to the early 2000's when we were competitive in the sport.

Sean Nunn
Raytown South
10/11/2018 2:47:56 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@seannunn Ray South had some very good teams in the 80's too.
@seannunn

Ray South had some very good teams in the 80's too.
10/11/2018 2:55:30 PM
Coach
[quote=palmtree]@seannunn Ray South had some very good teams in the 80's too.[/quote] Thanks. I am old, but not old enough (or fortunate enough) to have coached those teams. In 1984, when I was running at Truman High School, we ran very well at the Liberty Invitational, but one guy ran poorly, and South beat us by 15 or 20 points. And I remember saying: well, we will beat South next week. In reality what happened was that no Kansas City area team beat South the rest of that year. Or the next 3 years either. But I would just be happy to be competitive again like we were even a decade ago. We wouldn't have to win a state title or anything. Getting more than one guy under 20:00 would be a step in the right direction. Or more than one girl under 28:00. Sean Nunn Truman class of 1986
palmtree wrote:
@seannunn

Ray South had some very good teams in the 80's too.

Thanks. I am old, but not old enough (or fortunate enough) to have coached those teams.

In 1984, when I was running at Truman High School, we ran very well at the Liberty Invitational, but one guy ran poorly, and South beat us by 15 or 20 points. And I remember saying: well, we will beat South next week.

In reality what happened was that no Kansas City area team beat South the rest of that year. Or the next 3 years either.

But I would just be happy to be competitive again like we were even a decade ago. We wouldn't have to win a state title or anything. Getting more than one guy under 20:00 would be a step in the right direction. Or more than one girl under 28:00.

Sean Nunn
Truman class of 1986
10/11/2018 2:57:01 PM
Coach
@seannunn While I am not really in favor of 5 classes, it sounds like it is going to happen. And it would at least give us a prayer of getting a runner or 2 to the state meet next year.
@seannunn

While I am not really in favor of 5 classes, it sounds like it is going to happen. And it would at least give us a prayer of getting a runner or 2 to the state meet next year.
10/11/2018 10:01:42 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Putting a system in place where we find a way to qualify the most deserving kids to state rather than the equal geographic representation that MSHSAA insists on. I came up with a few proposals to help with this when I served on the MSHSAA CC advisory board but got nowhere.
Putting a system in place where we find a way to qualify the most deserving kids to state rather than the equal geographic representation that MSHSAA insists on. I came up with a few proposals to help with this when I served on the MSHSAA CC advisory board but got nowhere.
10/11/2018 11:26:31 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
To open things up, the 5 classes, 8 Districts qualifying 3 OR 4 Districts/Sectionals qualifying 6 plus the (25/30?) individuals including team qualifiers will give people a chance to get there if they have been ill, injured, in a DEEP field. It will generate a lot of excitement for many "new" schools that have a chance to qualify or the individuals who can "sneak in" and represent a school for the first time. It can only help build the sport. Over the years, particularly in track, our staff has debated whether it is better to "get there and not get anything" or "not get there and end the season to motivate kids to do better." After several years' experience with the former, we think it is key for kids (and coaches; and schools) to have a chance to "get there" and form those life-long memories even if they do not get on the podium individually or with a team. It brings them back to schools as alumni, helps create traditions--and teaches the values of hard work paying off--intrinsically, if not extrinsically.
To open things up, the 5 classes, 8 Districts qualifying 3 OR 4 Districts/Sectionals qualifying 6 plus the (25/30?) individuals including team qualifiers will give people a chance to get there if they have been ill, injured, in a DEEP field. It will generate a lot of excitement for many "new" schools that have a chance to qualify or the individuals who can "sneak in" and represent a school for the first time. It can only help build the sport. Over the years, particularly in track, our staff has debated whether it is better to "get there and not get anything" or "not get there and end the season to motivate kids to do better." After several years' experience with the former, we think it is key for kids (and coaches; and schools) to have a chance to "get there" and form those life-long memories even if they do not get on the podium individually or with a team. It brings them back to schools as alumni, helps create traditions--and teaches the values of hard work paying off--intrinsically, if not extrinsically.
10/12/2018 8:01:18 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Well Said, I AGREE. It is better to get there and experience what this sport has to offer at the highest level. I believe it makes the kids want to come back the following year and be hungry. XC is only in its 10th year at Valle Catholic. I remember the first year I qualified a boys team and 3 girls I took the entire team to show them what the sport is all about. We stayed for the medal ceremony and talked about the sacrifices some of these athletes did to be standing up there. I still remember one of my girls telling me I get it now. I will do whatever you ask I want to be standing there next year. Yes she did along with her best friend. I believe we were 12 and 23 at state. Had I not taken them I don't believe they would have been driven and inspired to work so hard.
Well Said, I AGREE. It is better to get there and experience what this sport has to offer at the highest level. I believe it makes the kids want to come back the following year and be hungry. XC is only in its 10th year at Valle Catholic. I remember the first year I qualified a boys team and 3 girls I took the entire team to show them what the sport is all about. We stayed for the medal ceremony and talked about the sacrifices some of these athletes did to be standing up there. I still remember one of my girls telling me I get it now. I will do whatever you ask I want to be standing there next year. Yes she did along with her best friend. I believe we were 12 and 23 at state. Had I not taken them I don't believe they would have been driven and inspired to work so hard.
10/12/2018 8:56:06 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@3xcrunners Totally agree. Getting teams a fairer playing field with an even chance to advance will (and has in the past) grow the sport! Five classes, breaking them in a fair and consistent manner and advance more teams to the starting line. New course should easily accommodate 24 teams.
@3xcrunners
Totally agree. Getting teams a fairer playing field with an even chance to advance will (and has in the past) grow the sport!

Five classes, breaking them in a fair and consistent manner and advance more teams to the starting line. New course should easily accommodate 24 teams.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.