Indoor Summary: Sleeper of the Year?
02/25/2019 9:01:28 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
The indoor season ended on a high note with Lang and Robinson as #1 in the US in the 60 and 400 respectively. That's the first time in my memory that Missouri had kids at #1 at the end of February. One athlete that few have heard of prior to the indoor season is Mason Walters of Marquette. He has been primarily a sprinter his first 3 years of track who has never run an open 800 or 1600 before this indoor season. He did run a 1:54 4 x 800 relay split at sectionals last year. He had an outstanding cross-country season running a 15:59 5K. Running indoor track for the first time, he recorded a 4:33 Mile at Pittsburg State and a 1:57 800 at Vanderbilt. He also won the 800 at Mizzou. With Brandon Miller and Martin Strong both returning, the 800 will be a tough event to make a ripple in this year unless you can go sub-1:54. Walters might be the guy who can do it.
The indoor season ended on a high note with Lang and Robinson as #1 in the US in the 60 and 400 respectively. That's the first time in my memory that Missouri had kids at #1 at the end of February.

One athlete that few have heard of prior to the indoor season is Mason Walters of Marquette. He has been primarily a sprinter his first 3 years of track who has never run an open 800 or 1600 before this indoor season. He did run a 1:54 4 x 800 relay split at sectionals last year. He had an outstanding cross-country season running a 15:59 5K. Running indoor track for the first time, he recorded a 4:33 Mile at Pittsburg State and a 1:57 800 at Vanderbilt. He also won the 800 at Mizzou.

With Brandon Miller and Martin Strong both returning, the 800 will be a tough event to make a ripple in this year unless you can go sub-1:54. Walters might be the guy who can do it.
02/25/2019 9:46:08 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
Christian Baker had the top 3k and 2 Mile in the state - not shocking - but Lindbergh's Billy Driemeyer ran 9:30.09 in the 3200 at GVSU, faster than several all-state/state champion guys this winter. He went 15:49 at Castlewood this fall and finished 55th at state, already 22 seconds faster than he was outdoor last spring.
Christian Baker had the top 3k and 2 Mile in the state - not shocking - but Lindbergh's Billy Driemeyer ran 9:30.09 in the 3200 at GVSU, faster than several all-state/state champion guys this winter. He went 15:49 at Castlewood this fall and finished 55th at state, already 22 seconds faster than he was outdoor last spring.
02/25/2019 11:48:52 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@deekenkyle I saw that; it's pretty unusual for a kid to drop that kind of time his senior year indoors. Billy is going to face the same issue that Mason is: how to get State qualified out of the toughest sectional in the State for distance runners: Class 5 Sec. 1. I will say it will be a little easier this year in the 3200. Best of luck to Billy, he's a good runner that deserves to have a shot at State this year.
@deekenkyle

I saw that; it's pretty unusual for a kid to drop that kind of time his senior year indoors. Billy is going to face the same issue that Mason is: how to get State qualified out of the toughest sectional in the State for distance runners: Class 5 Sec. 1. I will say it will be a little easier this year in the 3200. Best of luck to Billy, he's a good runner that deserves to have a shot at State this year.
02/25/2019 7:12:52 PM
Power User
How about the 400-meter kid from Rockwood Summit? Huge improvements from the year before. Let's not forget that Alicia Burnett is back now for Parkway North. In what could already be a loaded district/sectional. It is possible that 12 of the top 16 returning 100 meter sprinters could be in the same class four district
How about the 400-meter kid from Rockwood Summit? Huge improvements from the year before. Let's not forget that Alicia Burnett is back now for Parkway North. In what could already be a loaded district/sectional. It is possible that 12 of the top 16 returning 100 meter sprinters could be in the same class four district
02/25/2019 11:22:24 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@bantazmo Brunsman had a great indoor season and should easily go sub-48 outdoors. Any other year he would be the State's top 400 athlete. No one has mentioned Grant Conway yet. He was ranked #1 in the US the first few weeks of the season and ended up #10. It's going to be a fun outdoor season.
@bantazmo

Brunsman had a great indoor season and should easily go sub-48 outdoors. Any other year he would be the State's top 400 athlete.

No one has mentioned Grant Conway yet. He was ranked #1 in the US the first few weeks of the season and ended up #10. It's going to be a fun outdoor season.
02/26/2019 11:42:49 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=CoachAWJ]The indoor season ended on a high note with Lang and Robinson as #1 in the US in the 60 and 400 respectively. That's the first time in my memory that Missouri had kids at #1 at the end of February. One athlete that few have heard of prior to the indoor season is Mason Walters of Marquette. He has been primarily a sprinter his first 3 years of track who has never run an open 800 or 1600 before this indoor season. He did run a 1:54 4 x 800 relay split at sectionals last year. He had an outstanding cross-country season running a 15:59 5K. Running indoor track for the first time, he recorded a 4:33 Mile at Pittsburg State and a 1:57 800 at Vanderbilt. He also won the 800 at Mizzou. With Brandon Miller and Martin Strong both returning, the 800 will be a tough event to make a ripple in this year unless you can go sub-1:54. Walters might be the guy who can do it.[/quote] Surely some folks have heard of Mason Walters before indoor track season??? He was 12th in Class 4 and was Second Team All-Metro St. Louis (Post-Dispatch and St. Louis Track Club). I do agree that he is poised for a fun season! He has a great kick (he was a 400m State Qualifier as a sophomore), and he has shown in XC that he has the endurance as well.
CoachAWJ wrote:
The indoor season ended on a high note with Lang and Robinson as #1 in the US in the 60 and 400 respectively. That's the first time in my memory that Missouri had kids at #1 at the end of February.

One athlete that few have heard of prior to the indoor season is Mason Walters of Marquette. He has been primarily a sprinter his first 3 years of track who has never run an open 800 or 1600 before this indoor season. He did run a 1:54 4 x 800 relay split at sectionals last year. He had an outstanding cross-country season running a 15:59 5K. Running indoor track for the first time, he recorded a 4:33 Mile at Pittsburg State and a 1:57 800 at Vanderbilt. He also won the 800 at Mizzou.

With Brandon Miller and Martin Strong both returning, the 800 will be a tough event to make a ripple in this year unless you can go sub-1:54. Walters might be the guy who can do it.

Surely some folks have heard of Mason Walters before indoor track season??? He was 12th in Class 4 and was Second Team All-Metro St. Louis (Post-Dispatch and St. Louis Track Club).

I do agree that he is poised for a fun season! He has a great kick (he was a 400m State Qualifier as a sophomore), and he has shown in XC that he has the endurance as well.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.