Turf runway for Javelin?
10/13/2020 3:33:31 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Anyone have experience or ever seen a javelin competition with a turf runway? With limited space on campus, we are looking at alternatives. Javelin would land in grass.
Anyone have experience or ever seen a javelin competition with a turf runway? With limited space on campus, we are looking at alternatives. Javelin would land in grass.
10/13/2020 8:37:44 PM
Coach
Hillsboro has a great set-up. I believe the runway is track surface.
Hillsboro has a great set-up. I believe the runway is track surface.
10/14/2020 7:52:34 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I haven't see it done, but I don't imagine it would change much. I wouldn't recommend my athletes wear spikes in favor of cleats or turf shoes for that surface. Good luck!
I haven't see it done, but I don't imagine it would change much. I wouldn't recommend my athletes wear spikes in favor of cleats or turf shoes for that surface. Good luck!
10/14/2020 10:13:47 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@CoachTWood Agreed. View turf as potentially better than grass surface, but would prefer an all-weather runway.
@CoachTWood Agreed. View turf as potentially better than grass surface, but would prefer an all-weather runway.
10/15/2020 12:07:27 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@FestusGirlsTF. We have a school in our district that uses a turf runway for the Javelin. While not ideal, they are land locked and that was really the only way to fit enough space. They throw onto a grass sector. The first few years, they limited spikes to 1/4" inch and that did not give enough resistance. Lately they have relaxed the spike length. We have our throwers practice on our turf field with football shoes and Jav spikes in advance to get a feel for which shoe they prefer.
@FestusGirlsTF. We have a school in our district that uses a turf runway for the Javelin. While not ideal, they are land locked and that was really the only way to fit enough space. They throw onto a grass sector. The first few years, they limited spikes to 1/4" inch and that did not give enough resistance. Lately they have relaxed the spike length. We have our throwers practice on our turf field with football shoes and Jav spikes in advance to get a feel for which shoe they prefer.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.